So despite the almost catastrophic lathe fail last month, this little cedar planter was salvaged! I ended up finding a piece of scrap ash from our cut-off box, and created a prosthetic base for where I went through with the chisel. Added a dab of polyurethane glue (which actually gets stronger the wetter it gets..crazy!), drilled a hole for drainage, and voila! And just in time for the backyard succulents that appear to be multiplying to no end.
I am really digging these Oslo city neighbourhood coasters that are available at Shapeways by Studio Hansen. The six separate neighbourhoods can be placed together to form a small portion of the full city map. But for some reason you can not buy the full set of six. Instead they are available by neighbourhood.
We have a fire pit in the back yard that is great for clearing out the offcuts from our wood shop. Sometimes it is hard to burn the things that took a lot of work to make, and sometimes those things that we burn just looks cool:
The wood fenders for Heathers bike are making some progress. After the last bend test the form has been re-shaped with a tighter radius to compensate for the springback. The original form was cut down and the first test fender was glued on to act as the outer forming surface.
Fender being layed-up
Two fenders have been bent on this form and they both retain the right shape when unclamped. The fenders have been trimmed to size and sanded to remove the excess epoxy that squeezed out of the joints during clamping. Lamination bending is either a messy process, or I am not doing it properly.
Form, backer and two fenders.
There is a full half round fender for the rear tire, and a shorter fender for the front tire. The next steps are to source the support wire and brackets to attach the fenders to the bike securely. Once that is finalized the fenders will be drilled appropriately and finished with a marine grade clear coat.